Skip to content

AR LAW Services  |  Lawyers & Consultants  |  Masters of Australian Migration and Visa Law

The Language of Love? English to be at ‘functional level’ for Partner Visa applicants

As reported in the Age, foreigners who fall in love with Australians could have to complete 500 hours of English classes before they are allowed to stay here permanently.

Acting Immigration Minister Alan Tudge revealed new details of the English language requirements, announced in Tuesday’s Federal Budget, for people applying for partner visas.

The test also applies to an applicant’s spouse, if they are a permanent resident rather than an Australian citizen.

“This will apply to prospective partner visa applications, from about the middle of next year,” Mr Tudge said.

“What this will mean is that we will require an applicant and a sponsor to have met functional level English or to have at least made reasonable efforts to learn English.

Partner Visas

So if you or anyone you know is thinking of applying for a partner visa or has an application pending talk to us. Book an initial 30 minute consultation for a flat fixed fee for the initial 30 minutes to discuss your issue with a Master Migration Lawyer and to see if you qualify for a “ABG Coronavirus Grant” and thereby be eligible for significant savings.

Book a Consultation

Call 03 9614 0218 or email to make an initial 30 minute consultation at our Melbourne office. (conditions apply)

For more go to

Note: this update, or any previous updates on this page, do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Please call our office to seek professional advice before acting or relying on any of the content on this page