Skip to content

AR LAW Services  |  Lawyers & Consultants  |  Masters of Australian Migration and Visa Law

Update on Training Visas – subclass 407.

Training Subclass 407 Visas

is a short stay visa for people occupational training or professional development in Australia.

Visa Criteria

All applicants must show that they:

  • Have turned 18 (or can demonstrate exceptional circumstances)
  • Have Functional English
  • Hold private health insurance
  • Have access to sufficient funds to support themselves in Australia
  • Genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia for the intended purpose
  • Meet health and character requirements

Sponsorship by an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor is required.

Occupational Trainees

This pathway requires a nomination by the sponsor to do one of the following activities in Australia:

  • Training required to obtain registration, membership or a licence to work in Australia or home country
  • Training in a gazetted occupation – in this case, the applicant must have worked full time in the occupation for at least 12 of the last 24 months
  • Up to 6 months of practical experience, research or observation is required to obtain an overseas qualification
  • Training supported by a government agency or the applicant’s home government

Occupational training would generally require at least 70% of the training to be on-the-job versus classroom training.

Professional Development

Requires you to be working overseas in a management or professional position. Training is primarily classroom training and would need to be in skills relevant to your position.


The application must be lodged online. You can either be in Australia or overseas when lodging the application.

Family Members.

Family members (spouses and children) can be included in your application.


The visa is generally valid for stay in Australia of 2 years. The visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training specified in the visa application. You must also maintain your health insurance whilst in Australia.

So if you or anyone you know is thinking of applying for a 407 visa or has had a visa refused or cancelled contact us to discuss your Appeal or Review options.  Remember TRUST ONLY a Master Migration Lawyer and make an appointment with AR LAW Services: Master Migration Lawyer.

[button link=”” size=”large” target=”_self” icon=”cog” color=”alternative-1″ lightbox=”false”]Book a Consultation[/button]

Call 03 9614 0218 or email to make an initial 30 Minute consultation at our Melbourne office. (conditions apply)

For more go to

Note: this update, or any previous updates on this page, do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Please call our office to seek professional advice before acting or relying on any of the content on this page