Skip to content

AR LAW Services  |  Lawyers & Consultants  |  Masters of Australian Migration and Visa Law


The subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa is a visa created to address labour market shortages in regional Australia by encouraging greater skilled migration to regional Australia.

Family or State:

This visa is for applicants invited to apply for the visa and who are either nominated by a State or Territory government or sponsored by an eligible family member, who resides in a designated regional area.

The main criteria are:

  • a temporary visa (5-year visa)
  • a points-based skilled visa (it requires a minimum of 65 points)
  • lodged onshore or offshore
  • Age restrictions
  • sponsorship by either a state or territory government agency or an eligible relative
  • Must live, work and study in a designated regional area of Australia

Eligibility requirements for the 491 visa?


  • Must have an occupation on a skilled occupation list
  • Must have a suitable skill assessment for the occupation
  • Must be invited to apply for this visa
  • Must be aged under 45 to be invited to apply for the visa
  • Must satisfy the points test
  • Must have at least Competent English 
  • Must meet the health requirement
  • Must meet the character requirement
  • Must be nominated to apply by a state or territory or sponsored by an eligible relative
  • Nomination by an Australian state or territory: All state and territory government agencies have their own criteria for deciding who they will nominate. Therefore, applicants must check the relevant state nomination requirements
  • Sponsorship by an eligible relative: The eligible relative must be:
    • 18 years or older
    • Usually resident in a designated area of Australia.
    • An Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
    • Applicant’s or applicant’s partner’s eligible relative

Possible pathway to PR: (permanent visa)

The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) is a temporary visa. If you hold a subclass 491 visa, you would need to apply Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191) in order to receive a permanent visa.

So if you or anyone you know is thinking or applying for a regional visa or has applied or has had an application refused or a visa cancelled [or appeal to the AAT] talk to us. Book an initial 30 minute consultation for a flat fixed fee for the initial 30 minutes to discuss your issue with a Master Migration Lawyer.
Call 03 9614 0218 or email to make an initial 30 minute consultation at our Melbourne office. (conditions apply)
Note: this update, or any previous updates on this page, do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such.
Please call our office to seek professional advice before acting or relying on any of the content on this page